Freedom

     The following morning and for the rest of the king's stay, I lay low. I went to meals and returned quietly to my room. My father hadn't spoken to me since the dinner feast and I didn't plan on speaking to him. The day past and tomorrow came, I saw the king's followers begin to pack up and I watched as they all said so long. I didn't think I could go on this journey so I had made myself stay in this godforsaken kingdom. A few minutes later, I heard a knock on my door and I went to open it thinking it would be my father. It was not him, I found Mansa Musa standing at my door instead, he did not seem to be in a hurry of any kind, only stopping by.
     "I take it you're not coming," he said with an understanding tone. I nodded but did not say a word. "Well, goodbye Kemma, the King's daughter."
     As he began to walk away I caught him, "How do you know my name? I never told you." He only shrugged and kept walking. So I closed my door and went back to the window. Shut my eyes and holding my breath tight, I grabbed whatever was closest to me. Then I bolted out the door toward a freedom.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment